The wire to the vacuum cleaner: how to repair
Good afternoon, dear comrades electricians!
My name is Andrew, and I have this question for you. The other day I read an entertaining article on your website about repairing washing machine engines. The material was very detailed and understandable, so even I, who were not at all versed in this, could figure it out. I went further and began to look for material on the problem, but with a vacuum cleaner that I have, but I did not find anything like it.
In general, I have knocked out the mechanism of winding the wires in a vacuum cleaner. When you press the button, winding goes, but the wire stops a meter from the body and it is terribly angry.
Tell me, is it possible to repair it, without resorting to the services of a service center, where they will probably break the price. I think that every second person faces a similar problem, and the material will be in demand. Thank you in advance!
Understanding the small repair of household appliances
Good day, Andrew! We are glad to please you and inform you that there is a way to make such a repair and you only need a Phillips screwdriver to carry it out. In extreme cases, you have to resort to using pliers, but more on that later.
If the wire does not reach
The mechanism of winding the wire itself is extremely simple. It consists of a large coil, a fixing unit and a flat metal spring, with which, in fact, the problem arises.
Tip! Before proceeding with the repair, you naturally need to disassemble the body of the vacuum cleaner to get to the desired part. It is not difficult to do this and the actions are usually intuitive, but if you are in doubt, look for schemes for analyzing your model on the Internet.
Why does the spring stop pulling? Everything is simple - over time, because of constant tension, it relaxes and loses the level of the initial stretch. This means that our task is to normal spring cocking.
How it's done:
- Remove the mechanism from the case itself, after disconnecting the terminals through which the cord is connected to the engine;
- Pull the cord a bit and pull it out of the groove that keeps the plug from further winding up.
- Wrap the elongated part once again around the coil and return the plug to its place.
- If the design of the coil is such that it does not allow such a manipulation, then we pull the cord out a couple of meters and make a coil around the coil with a wire, after which we tighten it back.
After these manipulations, we check the mechanism. If the effort is still not enough, then make another round, but observe the measure and do not allow the spring to over-tension.
If you set it too high, there may be cases of injury from the plug, which often happened on the Soviet vacuum cleaners, where they put very powerful springs. Also, being constantly in the cocked state, the mechanism will very quickly lose its functionality again.
If the mechanism does not work at all
Since we took up this topic, let's consider the option when the wire does not retract at all. This happens when the spring in the mechanism bursts. How to be in this case.
Of course, you can go to the service center and order a new part (the price of such a solution can be quite high), but it is not necessary to do this, as it is possible to restore the old one with your own hands if it broke closer to one of the ends.
- We disassemble the vacuum cleaner and extract the mechanism according to the same scheme.
- Release the spring from the retainer and remove it.
- You will immediately notice that at the edges of the spring is fastened by small bends, which are turned into special slots. Immediately the thought comes that for repair it is necessary to remove the torn piece and make the same bend on the free end. That's right, but we would not be horrified if everything were so simple. The fact is that when you try to bend the metal with pliers, it will immediately break. To prevent this, there is one small trick.
Instructions for repairing springs in one photo
- So, we take the spring and begin to heat up the desired end of it above the gas burner (the ordinary kitchen stove will do well).
- Kalim red hot - no longer needed.
- As soon as she accepts such a color as in the photo, we set it aside, and let it cool naturally, without cooling it.
- The cooled metal can be easily bent, so take the pliers and give the spring the desired shape.
- After it is necessary to do a fitting - if everything is normal, then we heat up the bent part again, but this time we immediately drop it into cold water. So the metal will harden again and lose its elasticity.
- Gently wind the spring back onto the coil, constantly holding it with your hands so that it does not jump out, and fix it back with the plate.
That's all that we can answer the question of how to remove the wire in a vacuum cleaner. The procedure is not complicated and takes you half an hour from strength. In addition, it advises to look at the video in which you can see some details.